Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Do I Need to Upgrade to Windows 8? [tf charts]



So as you all know I did a 3 part feature on some of the aspects of Windows 8 from a user perspective.  Personally I like it and think it's going to be pretty good on phones and tablet devices.  In that feature though I also mentioned that I personally wouldn't be replacing my Windows 7 desktops and laptops with the new OS.  For a keyboard and mouse environment Windows 7 works too well to switch out.  I also have a bit of apprehension even attempting to roll it out on my network at work.  We have some custom applications and don't even get me started on the potential learning curve for my users. I know others have some questions too, which is why I decided to answer everyone, user and admin alike, that have asked me Windows 8 questions.

SO. I put a handy little flowchart together to help you kids out.  You're welcome everyone.  Click on the image to make it bigger so you can, you know... read it.

4 comments:

  1. Just like all the others, I will most likely be installing it on Day 1 and should have it fully installed by Friday night, if we're not busy. Also, the low price is only good until 1/31/13, after which it looks like all versions jump about 5x the price. (This FAQ seems to be pretty comprehensive on the topic... http://bit.ly/RVhTdg )

    So I see enough where I think it'll make a good upgrade, and jumping on it sooner rather than later is the best option if you are ever planning to upgrade at all.

    Also, is it just me, or does it look like Pro is the new Home Premium. There is almost nothing about Windows 8 standard... of course, that could be the equivalent of Windows 7 Basic, or just be something held for after 1/31.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll be getting it as well. used it for a while through TechNet, and you're right on the price. on versioning, they're a little weird on this release -

    Windows RT: for ARM systems
    Windows 8: the "home premium" version
    Windows 8 Pro: has domain join, encryption, in line with Windows 7 Pro
    Windows 8 Enterprise: Pro with windows to go, branch cache, direct access and some other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tushar, this made me laugh. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks jamie! something tells me it was one particular section you were chuckling at more than the rest of it haha

    ReplyDelete